Dry Needling Rulings
Is Dry Needling Legal in Illinois?
- In August 2010, dry needling by physical therapists was approved in Illinois.
- In June 2011, the Illinois Acupuncture Federation issued a position statement opposing dry needling by physical therapists.
- On April 25, 2014, the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) released an informal opinion on April 25, 2014, asserting that dry needling would not be within the scope of practice of licensed physical therapists in the state of Illinois. The rationale was because all procedures listed in the physical therapy practice act are non-invasive.
- On July 3, 2017, a new bill authorizing dry needling by physical therapists in Illinois was sent to the Governor for his signature. The bill passed unanimously out of the House and Senate with bipartisan sponsorship and support.
- The governor signed the bill into law on August 25, 2017.